Autumn, by Sylvia Ji
1) Nickel Creek--"Scotch and Chocolate"
I listen to pretty much anything by Nickel Creek during autumn, but this is one of my favorites. And this video was apparently one of their last unplugged sessions before they broke up. TOO MUCH AMAZING, seriously. I love watching musicians who are so genuinely skilled like this.
2) Nickel Creek--"When in Rome"
My requisite autumn song. Plus they all look like a buncha studs in this video.
3) Anything by The Roaring Girl Cabaret
She rocks! And her music is delicious. I particularly enjoy "Passion Play" (lots of Shakespeare references!), "Sweet By and By," and her cover of "L'Amour Est Un Oiseau Rebelle" from Carmen.
4) Temper Trap--"Sweet Disposition"
They're like a slightly more indie sounding U2. I first heard this song in (500) Days of Summer and discovered last year that it's a perfect autumn song.
5) Amy Winehouse--"Someone To Watch Over Me"
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cover. There's something about the classic Gershwin song mixed with Amy's petulant, smoky voice that makes my heart go pitter-pat.
This is a great summer-into-fall song. There's something about it that makes me feel like the seasons are changing. And I love the beat! This was another song I discovered through (500) Days of Summer.
7) The Chieftains f/Nickel Creek--"The Raggle Taggle Gypsy"
Irish music + bluegrass = MMMMMMM! The Chieftains are another band that's made up of such genuinely skilled musicians that it's hypnotizing to watch. So pairing them up with like Nickel Creek naturally brings the house down.
8) Allison Krauss & Robert Plant--"Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us"
Love love love this haunting song. Fun fact: it was originally by Sam Phillips, who did the music for Gilmore Girls! I love her version of the song as well. Both are very autumn-y.
9) Garrison Keillor & Meryl Streep (From the A Prairie Home Companion soundtrack)--"Gold Watch and Chain"
I am not a huge fan of the Prairie Home Companion radio show (I always come in during the middle and never have any clue what's going on), but for some reason I adore the movie. It's full of great music, but this song is particularly charming.
10) John Tsifliklis & His band (From the My Big Fat Greek Wedding soundtrack)--"Οραία Που Είναι η Νύφη Μας"
Autumn makes me think of many things, one of them being the annual Greek Festival in Tucson! I haven't been able to go for the past couple of years, which makes me sad. But luckily I still have incredible Greek music to keep me company instead.